I started going around to stores and asking for donations at the beginning of May. It didn't go well.
My first store was one of the many Walmarts in my town, where I was told that both the store manager and the personnel were busy. I left my list there and was told I would get a call from them (I didn't). I then went to another Walmart, where I was told they had already maxed out their donation budget for the month (It was May 8th). A few days later I went to Jo-Ann's, where I spoke to a store manager (finally!) and was told I would have to contact corporate because they are corporate owned. That same day I went to Old Time Pottery, where I was told all of their managers were at lunch (it was four o'clock in the afternoon) and that I could leave my list there and would get a call. I never heard from them.
So after all of that frustration, my mom and I came to the conclusion that we had no other option but to purchase the items ourselves. I did some research in order to find where to get the best fabric and other necessities for the cheapest prices. I already had a couple of yards of fabric at my house, and some scraps left over from previous projects I could use for teddy bears. I also already had a little fiberfill and the thread I needed. We were shopping at yet another Walmart a couple of days ago when we stumbled upon make your own blanket kits with two pieces of fabric in them for four dollars a piece. We bought they had, along with four single blankets, and spent just under thirty dollars on fabric and a bag of fiber fill.
We still have to find pillow cases, which is where a lot of our cost will come from. Those things are not cheap! I also still need fabric spray paint, which won't cost that much, and stencils, which I will be making myself.
My final challenge will be getting everything down to Costa Rica. In order to keep costs for the trip down, we have to split a suitcase with another team member, and the airline we are flying requires your bags to be under forty pounds. I've already shipped my work clothes down there, so I don't have as much to take, but it's still going to be tough. It's going to be an adventure, that's for sure!
No comments:
Post a Comment